Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Recipe: Spaghetti Pasta with Zucchini, Crispy Bacon & Parmesan

My kids love pasta, so much so that it has become a weekend staple in our home. Their favorite pasta is spaghetti and I am often surprised at how much they can eat.



Scenario #1
Mummy: "Kids, do you want to go out to the mall and eat some nice food?"
Kids: Mummy can we stay home, and can you make us pasta for lunch?

Scenario #2
Mummy: Do you want to go for dim sum today? (Note: They love siew mai)
Kids: Don't want siew mai.... can we have pasta instead.... the one with the bacon, pleaseeeeee?

Scenario #3
Mummy: Do you want mummy to cook something else for a change?
Kids: Nooooooo, we want pasta. Mummy's pasta is the best.

That's basically how it goes every weekend. My kids will request for pasta every weekend. As a mummy, I'm only glad to see them eating well and enjoying their food. :)



Here's the recipe for their (current) favorite pasta, spaghetti with zucchini and bacon. It's one of those pasta dishes that everyone loves. Simple and quick to make too.





Spaghetti pasta with zucchini and bacon
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
Serves 4

350g spaghetti pasta
5 streaky bacon (about 125g), sliced thinly
1 zucchini (about 300g), sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Freshly grated Parmesan, to garnish
Fresh parsley or basil (optional)


1. In a pot of salted water, cook the spaghetti pasta according to pack instructions, about 8-10 minutes until al dente. Remove from heat and drain, run under cold water to stop from cooking further.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or wok on medium high heat. Add bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes, until crispy and golden brown. Remove and set aside.

3. Using the same pan, add the garlic and cook for a minute until golden brown. Then, add the zucchini, and cook for 3-4 minutes until it turns translucent. Add the drained pasta, season with salt and pepper as necessary and give it a quick stir.

4. Using a two-pronged carving fork, swirl some of the pasta around the fork. Slide the pasta off the fork and mound it in the center of a plate. Repeat for each serving. Top with crispy bacon, as well as parsley and basil (if using). Grate Parmesan cheese all over.






If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

13 comments:

  1. Hi Yen,

    I laughed reading at these pasta conversations. Your kids are so cute. You must cook more pasta for them :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 8am and I'm hungry now, I can have this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yen,
    I wonder why kids love pasta. My two kids, who are much older than yours, love pasta as well, and I would cook it at least twice a month.
    Your pasta looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. who wouldn;t .....you pout so many delicious things there. Yums

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yen! I am not surprised that your kids love your pasta. You make such yummy ones! This pasta recipe looks quite easy for me to handle and that's what I am cooking for my partner this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. with pasta like this, i'd make myself an uninvited guest at your home every weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe your kids are so cute! I love pasta too but the other dishes that you offered them also sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yen,
    This pasta recipe sounds easy and I 'm planing to cook for my family soon. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This old kid will love your pasta too if you cook for me Yen:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're the best mommy that every kid could ask for. ;P

    Baby Sumo's zucchini pasta is definitely worth trying! I'll bookmark this for next time! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. simple and with bacon..that makes it even tastier..! you are lucky that your kids are not bored with eating the same food everytime :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! My girl would like this, I'm sure. Can't go wrong with crispy bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cuz mom's cook will be always the best! Good job sister.

    Hello! :)

    By the way, I love pasta too and that was why I drop by your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...