Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Recipe: Sambal telur (Malaysian Egg Sambal)

Last week, I cooked mee goreng and as an accompaniment, I also made sambal telur. Sambal telur, also known as egg sambal is a Malay dish whereby hard boiled eggs are coated in a spicy, sambal sauce. This recipe is pretty similar to the sambal telur tauhu recipe that I posted last year but with slightly less ingredients.


Sambal telur, absolutely enticing!


This is a much healthier version compared to the ones you get outside as I did not deep fry the eggs, and just pan fried them with a little oil. Lots of onions is a must for me and you can adjust the spiciness to your liking. This is great with any noodle dish or simply a bowl of white rice.


Try it and you'll love it!




Sambal telur (egg sambal)
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves 2

Ingredients
4 hard boiled eggs
2 tbsp cooking oil
3 onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp cili giling (chilli paste)
100ml water
1 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp soft brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt


1. Heat oil in a large wok. Add the eggs and lightly pan fry for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.

2. Add the onions and garlic in the wok and stir fry for 2-3 minutes until the onions have softened slightly. Then, add the cili giling (I used about 2 tbsp first) and fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the water and cook for another 3-4 minutes, to further soften the onions.



3. Add the eggs and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Season with light soy sauce, soft brown sugar and salt. Add more cili giling if you like it spicier. Mix to coat well.

4. Serve with rice or noodles.

Note: For instructions on how to cook hard boiled egg, see Step 1.


Photo by Baby D, using my iPhone.. good job boy x






If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's Facebook page on 23 November 2014.

10 comments:

  1. This looks super delicious! I love eating eggs but i'm not very good at eating spicy food, will need a huge glass of water to go with these eggs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! If I see at any Malay stall, I would surely order. Never tried cooking my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your IPhone can do very nice bokeh..

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...you planted ulam raja too ya? saw the flower in the background.

    yummy sambal egg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very tempting with just few ingredients. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a surplus of eggs so I really want to try this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good! Reminds me of Nasi Lemak!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy! Must cook extra rice! Any leftovers, great in sandwich with lots of cucumber!

    ReplyDelete
  9. People like you will keep our traditional dishes alive! Well done :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just troede this today. We just love it. So teasty. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...