Monday, November 17, 2014

Recipe: Avocado salad with Tomatoes, Shallots and Toasted Cumin Vinaigrette (Bobby Flay)

I love avocadoes and would eat them every single day if I could. I always have a few sitting on my kitchen counter, so they definitely came in handy when I saw this avocado salad recipe from Bobby Flay.

Avocado salad with Tomatoes, Shallots and Toasted Cumin Vinaigrette


If you like guacamole, you should certainly try this. It tastes very similar to guacamole since the ingredients used share a similarity (think toasted cumin seeds, tomatoes, shallots). Also got to harvest the rocket and mizuna from my herb garden to add to this salad. :)

This is quick and easy to put together, and love the tangy cumin vinaigrette that is poured over the salad. A refreshing salad that I would love to eat any day.

Brilliant colours - so want to eat this again!


Avocado salad with Tomatoes, Shallots and Toasted Cumin Vinaigrette
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Bobby Flay
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Serves 2

Ingredients
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 ripe medium Hass avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 quantity toasted cumin vinaigrette, recipe follows
1 cup arugula / rocket leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro leaves


For the vinaigrette:
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp cumin seeds, lightly toasted
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper


1. To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the lime juice, rice wine vinegar, honey and cumin together, then slowly add the oil and whisk until emulsified. Add the cilantro leaves and season with salt and pepper. Note: Do not use a blender to make this vinaigrette.

2. Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl, then add the vinaigrette. Toss, check the seasoning and serve immediately.






***********************

I am submitting this to the "Cook Like Bobby Flay" event which I am co-hosting with Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Grace of Life Can Be Simple. To join, simply cook or bake any recipe from any Bobby Flay websites or cookbooks for the whole month of November 2014.

Your post must be a current post i.e. posted in November 2014 - please do not link older posts.Please mention Cook like a Star in your post and link back to Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Grace of Life Can Be Simple and Baby Sumo of Eat your heart out.

Happy cooking! Do check out the other bloggers recipe below:



If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

8 comments:

  1. i love avocados too! and am happy that they're not only delicious but also super-healthy to eat as much as we want of! :D your salad looks super-delectable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and fresh! makes you feel good eating this salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yen,

    The avocado season is IN now in Australia and I'm salivating looking at your beautiful salad :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yen, what a delightful avocado salad. My favorite fruit too! this salad is so refreshing and healthy at the same time. Thanks for sharing and warmest regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A light and refreshing salad. But I dislike avocado... maybe can substitute with mango or cucumber hor? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yen, this salad taste tangy and refreshing! I'm not a big fan to avocado but have tried it with some dried nuts and fruits. Will try this salad, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yen, I know that I will love this salad. It looks very pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love avocado in salad. This one looks very refreshing and it's my kind of salad. <3

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...