Saturday, October 26, 2013

Recipe: Scrambled Tofu Aux Fines Herbes (Vegetarian/Vegan)

Tofu, also known as soya bean curd is a good source of protein and calcium, with low calorie count, low fat, and no cholesterol.

I had some leftover silken tofu after making a tofu cheesecake and when I was browsing one of my health cookbooks, I came across a recipe for tofu omelette. I've not made many "Western" dishes with tofu before, so thought it would be an interesting recipe to try. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out and I ended up with scrambled tofu with herbs. However, tastewise it was pretty good (rich and creamy), so not quite a misfortune afterall.


Scrambled tofu aux fine herbes - a vegan's alternative to scrambled eggs breakfast


This makes a good and quick vegetarian/vegan lunch, and kept me full and going for 4 hours. I had some tobiko (fish roe) left in the fridge so I topped a spoonful of this on my scrambled tofu but you can by all means omit it to keep it vegetarian.




Scrambled tofu with fresh herbs
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves 1

Ingredients
125g silken tofu
100ml soy milk
1 tbsp wheat flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp chives, finely chopped
1 tsp parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp tarragon, finely chopped

Optional
1 tsp tobiko or masago (fish roe) (optional)
Truffle oil

1. In a mixing bowl, blend the tofu with the milk.Add the flour and season with salt and pepper.

2. Add the chives, 75% of the parsley, basil and tarragon. Mix well.

3. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium low heat. Pour in the tofu mixture and spread it over the pan. Gently cook until the mixture is bubbling.

4. Remove from heat and sprinkle with remaining parsley. Drizzle with truffle oil and top with tobiko if you please. Serve immediately.


*I am submitting this to the Little Thumbs Up "Soy Beans" event organized by Bake for Happy Kidsmy little favourite DIY and hosted by Mich of Piece of Cake. You can link your soy recipes here.


If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! Thanks :)

8 comments:

  1. i would have guessed that this was a successful recipe actually, cos it looks truly appetizing! it does look as creamy as eggs :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks SO good! I've had it where the tofu has split but this looks really wonderful. I must give it a go next weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scrambled tofu dish looks delicious! Definitely up my alley since I love tofu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a good idea to cook tofu omelette. I am sure it tastes good, your picture tells it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious vegan food, like this, is one reason why the number of vegans has doubled in less than 3 years. Here's a video to help everyone understand why so many people are making this life affirming choice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKr4HZ7ukSE

    Join the revolution! 21-Day Vegan Kickstart http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/kickstart/kickstart-programs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vegan scrambled eggs??? How is this possible? Seeing this, I have to believe that it is possible.

    Great job, Yen! You are so brilliant cooking this!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yen, I'll still choose eggs hah! hah!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...